This i believe...


There once was a time in my life I had no ambition, aka middle school, all I did was stay home plant myself in my bed and lock my mind in a video game, no thoughts of anything except get my Pokemon to level 90 and beat the Pokemon league. In school I snuck my Nintendo DS into class and played whenever the teacher wasn’t looking. Acquaintances tried to befriend me and family attempted to converse with me, I blew it all off. Soon I became a lone and video games became my reality and purpose. Whenever video games were taken from me for a while suicide crossed my mind more than once.

                It wasn’t the fact I was without games, it was the fact I was alone in the world which lead me to think of committing suicide. My games were taken away until I earned it, I was half forced half encouraged to make friends and to also become a part of the family. As I made attempts I discovered people called me hermit, which was what I was. Then a feeling of ambition finally found me, shake the hermit label. So at the beginning of my 8th grade year I worked on my personality, and my socializing. Soon I attracted a crowd, I was surrounded by people who liked me, I didn’t necessarily like them, they weren’t really the ideal people but I still had friends. After I surrounded myself with people and shook the hermit label, but I got a new label, and it was worse. Stoner.

                Living in Waianae being known as a stoner was a good thing amongst immature 8th graders, but many others frowned upon it. My grades were still at an all time low, but my self-esteem and confidence was high. Teachers hated me but I was popular. Since friends where checked off of the list I focused my attention to family problems, at home I was still an irresponsible immature ignorant brat. I lazily went about chores with disregard to my time wasted on weekends. Majority of the weekends I spent cleaning or partying with other stoners. My parents easily noticed my neglect to my education and responsibility so they grounded me. No going out and no hanging out with the wrong crowd.

                So I was back to square one, make friends, fix relations at home and raise grades. I focused on grades first this time, I went in for tutoring and spent extra time studying. Within a month I was back on track with grades, I was getting solid B’s in all my classes and since I was going in to study I befriended better people. Since I was with better people and had better grades I could focus on home, my parents took notice to my attempts to better myself and allowed me to go out a little more.  So by the end of 8th grade my grades were B’s and C’s, my relations at home were slowly repairing, and I was with the right crowd.

                “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” -George Bernard Shaw. Throughout life we will go through many events which alter our personality and who we are as a whole. These changes aren’t us trying to discover who we are its us taking it into our own hands and creating who we want to be. If I stayed a hermit and didn’t try to better who I was I would have never been able to get acceptable grades, surround myself with a good crowd and have good relations with my family. Instead I would have no friends, be stupid, and always be under punishment.

1 comment:

  1. You need to introduce your believe statement earlier than in the introduction and not wait till the very end. Because you save it for the end the reader loses interest as there is no real purpose of the essay stated. You also need to prove your quote more, again too much story and not enough of your own thoughts in connection to how the quote. And how do you live your life now, if you truly believe in the quote you need to prove by stating your current situation. AS(2+)

    ReplyDelete